Thursday, June 21, 2007

Jinan

I dont have a big article to write.So I thought I will send you a mail regarding my concerns on Homogenization of aestheic sense in traditional crafts. Homogenization of traditional crafts.
One of the biggest threat to the traditional craft practices is the homogenization in aesthetics, products and motifs happening at a fast rate due to our insensitive interventions.
This needs to be addressed at various levels.
May be we should begin a dialogue to find out the causes and the solutions.
I feel that the design education needs an input on cultural sensitivity and the artisanal ways of crafting things especially the aesthetic element.
The handicraft organizations involved in the development of craft- both the funders and the NGO’s must be made aware of this.
I was in Srinagar last month where I found designer asking the artisan to make motifs of startfish and sea horse and I have seen this happening in Kutch, Orissa etc
Jinan

No comments: